Along with your furniture, moving your appliances will be your biggest task on Moving Day. On top of being heavy and difficult to maneuver, appliances like washers and dryers, refrigerators, freezers, and other large appliances need to be properly prepared before unplugging them and loading them up.
Here are the five things you should do to ensure a smooth move for your appliances:
- Check the owner’s manual: Major appliances have their own specific procedure for disconnecting and securing. Your manual will have the steps for proper shutdown, proper utility disconnection, and other important concerns. If you don’t have a physical copy, check the manufacturer’s website.
- Contact the utility company: Speak with your gas, water, and electric providers to schedule a transfer of service to your new home. You can do this weeks ahead of time, and we recommend doing so. Some appliances, particularly gas appliances, must be disconnected by a licensed professional, so you’ll need to schedule that ahead of time.
- Clean and prepare your appliances: If you’re moving your kitchen appliances, make sure they’re all thoroughly cleaned and cleared out before Moving Day. Remove racks and drawers and tape your knobs and other lose parts to keep them from falling off during the move.
- Unplug and empty the fridge 24 hours before the move: It goes without saying, but make sure all perishable food is removed from your fridge before unplugging. Unplugging 24 hours ahead of time ensures a fully defrosted and dry fridge.
- Secure all doors, cords, and lids: Using plastic wrap of Press N Seal, wrap your appliances doors shut so they’re completely secured for the trip. Appliance doors have swung open during moves, causing damage to people and property, so it’s better to play it safe.
Our licensed and professional Burbank movers can handle every appliance you can throw at us. We’ve moved professional-grade kitchen appliances, and washers/dryers of all sizes and types. If you want a stress-free moving day, give us a call. Our team is fully insured and experienced, and we offer in-home estimates for maximum price accuracy.
Call Affordable Quality Moving and Storage at (818) 960-1988 today!